Algebra Proofs Book

Monday, June 6, 2016
At the beginning of the year, we do a quick algebra review in on-level geometry with algebraic properties of equality and algebra proofs.

Last year, students made an "Algebra Proofs" poster in groups of 2-3. Below are some finished posters from last school year. 




I really liked this activity, but many groups did not finish and there ended up being too much wasted paper. I decided to change it up for this upcoming school year and decided to make an "Algebra Proofs" book for students to put in their INB. To the left of their Algebra Proofs book, students will make an envelope and title it "Statements and Reasons" and this is where we will store our statements and reasons at (if we do not finish). 

Below are pictures of the finished "teacher product". I will update this post as soon as I have some pictures of student created books.  In the pictures below, I had one algebra proof per page, but there is enough room for students to complete 2 proofs per page. 







Directions for an INB Algebra Proofs Book:
1) Print both Proofs pages "2 to a page" so they will fit in the book. I print these pages on white.


2) Print both Statements pages "2 to a page". I print these on a separate color.

3) Print both Reasons pages "2 to a page".  I also print these on a separate color.

4) Pass these papers out to students and have students cut the boxes out. On the left side of their Algebra Proofs book, is an envelope where students will store their statements and reasons strips if they do not finish in class.


Other Ways to Use in Classroom: 
Put the following proofs on magnetic strips and have students rearrange them on the board or assign a student a proof based on their level of understanding.




Overall, this activity has helped ALL of my students and it is a great introduction to proofs because they these proofs are not "scary" nor "intimidating." By the end of the school year, about 95% of my students can correctly complete a two column proof without any support.


You can find the following documents here: 


3 comments

  1. Dang- this is good stuff. Thank you a million times over! This is my first year to teach Geometry, so I am loving all this support!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Thank you so much for this! I wish I would have discovered your blog earlier this year! :-)

    ReplyDelete