Solving Equations Flipbook

I was looking through my interactive notebook this past week and thought I'd share one of my favorite lessons. I teach geometry and I always start the year off with a quick one-week algebra review to get my students re-familiarized with solving multi-step equations.

Day 1: Students will tape down the steps to solving multi-step equations on the left side of their notebook and we go through the steps together and make little notes. It is extremely important that you make the flip-book with the students because if not, there will always be one student in each class that raises their hand and says "Something's wrong with my book!" I like to highlight each step that I take to solve the equation and I have students check their work for each problem.







I do have students check their work in their flip-book, but the pictures above are notes to myself to remind students what to do. 


Day 2:  Students walk in my classroom and cut out the solving equation puzzle pieces. Students have to match up the equation with the correct solution. I give them about 30 minutes to complete this puzzle in their notebook. Students show their work on the right side of the notebook and in some classes, I tell students what box is the top left one (depending on their level) and they have to figure out the rest.  




Once a student finishes, I have them raise their hand to show me their completed work. If they have their puzzle done correctly, I hand them this riddle worksheet. 

Overall, students were re-familarized with solving multi-step equations in 2 days! After that, we started algebraic properties of equality and introduced algebra proofs. Let me know, if you would like to see the foldables that I used for algebra proofs. :)

Here are the files that I used during this lesson: 


4 comments

  1. This is soooo awesome! Thank you for sharing on here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your foldables. But I'm having a hard time printing them out correctly. Can you please share printing instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am having the same problem as Juvonna. And it appears the last page is missing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't get them to print correctly either. Not sure if I'm doing something incorrect or if something is missing - Pam

    ReplyDelete