#MTBoS30: Cones, Cylinders, & Spheres

Monday, May 9, 2016
Our geometry team decided to make a small cones, cylinders, and spheres unit right after our circle basics unit. I had it all nicely planned out with cylinders on day 1, cones on day 2, and spheres on day 3 ending with a review and test.

Well........... every year and every class is different and this year, students seemed to understand this lesson without me even teaching them! We completed this whole foldable on day 1. 

Below are some example pictures of a completed foldable. We labeled the radius, height, and slant height on the foldable and on the formula chart. After that, some students basically went to town on the foldable with little instruction from me but, I did continue to teach the rest of the class. 





All I handed out on day 1 was "Surface Area & Volume of Cylinders HW" since I originally planned to only teach one section a day. Below are pictures of the HW assignments that I am giving out to students throughout the week. I did add QR codes to several HW questions because students love to use snapchat to check their work. (My kids think I'm awesome for this ;))





Due to the change in lesson plans, I am currently in the process of making a stations maze activity that students will be doing tomorrow in the hallways and I just finished making an online practice quiz on b.socrative.com. 

The most important piece of advice I gave my student teacher this semester was to BE FLEXIBLE! I told him to "Be stubborn about your goals and flexible about your methods" and that teachers will need to adapt/change instruction based on the specific needs of their classroom.

Reflections:
  1. Next year, I will definitely be doing ONE big surface area and volume unit (except maybe for my basic geometry classes)

Below are the files that I used for the unit:


4 comments

  1. Thank you for sharing! I love your quote," Be stubborn about your goals, and flexible about your methods."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your homework. Do you ever share or sell these as PDF's or documents?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katrina,

    Do you have the back side of these HW pages? I can't find them here or on your TpT site.

    ReplyDelete