Standard to Slope Intercept Form

Wednesday, October 25, 2017
Converting equations from standard form to slope-intercept form is challenging for students in the beginning. So, I tried one of my colleagues approach this year and I ended up absolutely LOVING it! Students ended up catching on extremely fast and I'm so thankful that she shared this approach with the rest of the team.

First, she tells students that there are two steps in converting equations from standard form to slope-intercept form. The first step is the "X-CITING MOVE" (insert VERY EXCITING tone). We call it the "X-CITING MOVE" because we move the "x" to the other side by adding or subtracting. After several class periods, I also noted that several students actually "circled" the x value and drew an arrow to the other side to represent the "X-CITING MOVE".

Second, is the "GREAT DIVIDE" (insert dramatic tone) because we divide everything by the coefficient of y.



After we went over this graphic organizer, students completed a matching puzzle. Side note: it is easier for students to cut the right side out of the puzzle and leave the left side "intact."


 Students put both pages in their interactive notebooks. 



Overall, this was an EXCELLENT lesson and every student was able to understand the concept and complete the puzzle independently. 

Anyone else use the "X-CITING MOVE" and the "GREAT DIVIDE"?


Here is the file if you would like to use: 






5 comments

  1. THIS is exactly what I need for Friday! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU for sharing!!! This should be perfect for our early release day this week. I think I'm going to have my students complete one additional part - have them matching equation and the graph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dude you got your question wrong because you forgot to add the triangle my dude

    ReplyDelete