Quadratic Formula Activity

Thursday, February 15, 2018
Here goes another cut and paste activity :)

I was worried about introducing the Quadratic Formula because of the numerous steps that students have to follow. Some of my lower level students often get stuck trying to complete three step problems (hence my nervousness). I printed off a class set of Math Equals Loves Quadratic Formula templates and stuck them in a dry erase sleeve (https://mathequalslove.blogspot.com/2016/02/quadratic-formula-templates.html) and had students practice on them throughout the notes. 

After the notes, we completed the following cut-and-paste activity over the Quadratic Formula. Students had to identify the answer and the box that correctly plugged the numbers into the formula.




One word.... SUCCESS!

Today, students took their test over polynomials and solving quadratics and I am SO proud of all their hard work! It definitely showed on their tests today. Below is the file to the activity if you would like to use in your classroom. As always, I appreciate ANY feedback or suggestions. :)







5 comments

  1. OMG, I lost my whole comment! Anyway, thank you for great activity. I just finished complete the square with the most success I have had. I used two step factoring. Did a VNPS activity first, saw so many misconceptions in action! like if (x+5)^2 = 12, then (x+ 5) = sqrt 12 or sqrt-12! Good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I am going to ask my school to invest in some VNPS...

      Delete
  2. This was great! Thank you so much! It helped me to see some gaps. The kids found it helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for this! I used this as a intro for a 2nd day of quadratic formula and I had a couple kids getting stuck in the plugging in of the values. I liked that you focused on that AND the answer.

    ReplyDelete